With just two ODIs left before the Asia Cup, Team India would aim to give chances to Sanju Samson, Axar Patel and Jaydev Unadkat in India vs West Indies 2nd ODI.
India won the 1st ODI with ease. But it was still nothing to write home about. In a 115-run chase, India Cricket Team struggled. But as Rohit Sharma and Rahul Dravid have already declared, the IND vs WI 2nd ODI too will be a platform to give some players an opportunity. Does that make a case for Sanju Samson, perhaps, resting Virat Kohli? Another point to ponder is whether India want to give an opportunity to Jaydev Unadkat in place of Shardul Thakur in India vs West Indies 2nd ODI.
With some of the key players injured or missing, Team India have a chance to give the backups a go. Rohit Sharma did just that, dropping to No 7 while Virat Kohli did not even bat. In such an instance, wouldn’t it be good to try out those who are still uncertain? Kohli will anyway be one of the first names on the team sheet in Asia Cup 2023 and World Cup 2023.
IND vs WI 2nd ODI: Selection muddle
- It’s clear that Team India will stick to Suryakumar Yadav no matter how many times he fails. In 22 innings, he has 9 single-digit scores. He has scored below 20 thirteen times.
- But it’s his X-factor that keeps the World No 1 T20 batter in the ODI team even after a hat-trick of golden ducks.
- That brings to the question, if Sanju Samson is part of the plan, then how is he going to prove his mettle?
- The only option left for now is to try out Samson, resting Virat Kohli from “meaningless” ODIs against West Indies.
- Suryakumar Yadav can occupy Virat Kohli’s place at No 3 while Sanju Samson can be used as a floater at No 4 or No 5.
- The truth is, the two ODIs are the only opportunity Rohit Sharma and Rahul Dravid have to try out Samson.
- Kul-Cha: The other point to ponder is whether Yuzvendra Chahal gets a go. After Kuldeep’s best performance with 4/6 in 18 balls, it is hard to bench him.
- However, with the pitch aiding leggies, Team India can opt for a KulCha return.
- Axar for Jadeja: In any given day, conditions, formats, Ravindra Jadeja is a sure-shot starter. His three wickets in 1st ODI would not matter much in team selection for Asia Cup or World Cup. That raises the question, should Axar Patel get a chance in place of Jadeja?
- Axar Patel to his credit has done everything he needs to be in the Playing XI. But his similarities with Jadeja has kept him out of the team.
- With two ODIs left before Asia Cup, Axar Patel makes a case for Rohit’s chance to test the combinations theory.
In bowling, there is also an opportunity to see Jaydev Unadkat. It’s clear that he is not in T20 plans. But with Arshdeep Singh in Asian Games squad, Unadkat is the only left-arm seamer available.
In his 2nd innings with Team India, he has only played Tests and has not got an opportunity in ODIs. The last two ODIs are the only chance for Team India to see whether Unadkat can be an option in ODIs too despite failing to impress in Tests.
Shardul Thakur who is another guaranteed starter can rest for Unadkat. Umran Malik is likely to get another go with Mukesh Kumar also featuring in 2nd ODI.
Predicted India Playing XI 2nd ODI:
- Rohit Sharma (C)
- Shubman Gill
- Virat Kohli/ Sanju Samson
- Ishan Kishan (WK)
- Hardik Pandya
- Suryakumar Yadav
- Ravindra Jadeja/Axar Patel
- Shardul Thakur/ Jaydev Unadkat
- Kuldeep Yadav
- Umran Malik
- Mukesh Kumar
India ODI Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Sanju Samson(w), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Umran Malik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Mohammed Siraj, Jaydev Unadkat, Mukesh Kumar, Shardul Thakur, Axar Patel, Ishan Kishan, Ruturaj Gaikwad
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow IND vs WI Live Updates with InsideSport.IN.