Ishan Kishan scored 55 off 55 balls against West Indies even as his team lost the second ODI cricket match at Kensington Oval in Bridgetown. Along with Shubman Gill (34 off 49 balls), Kishan formed a formidable opening stand, after which the middle collapsed.
With this knock, Kishan consolidated his case for selection as second wicket-keeper (provided KL Rahul gets fit for World Cup) with a second successive half-century.
Interestingly with his well compiled knock, Kishan also equalled a feat previously achieved by former India captain MS Dhoni. Kishan became only the second Indian wicketkeeper to score two back-to-back ODI half centuries against the West Indies at their own ground. Dhoni had achieved the feat in 2017.
India head coach Rahul Dravid appreciated his efforts with the willow, who said after the match, “I think Ishan has done well. This is his third fifty in a row, counting Test one as well. Again he is someone who is taking the opportunity when he is given the chance. I think that’s all we asked from a young player. We want to give them as many chances as we possibly can. We can’t give everyone a chance all the time; there are other talented guys as well. We try our best to give them as many chances as possible.”
Indian team management’s decision to rest skipper Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli badly backfired as none of the middle-order batters could cope with the pace, bounce and turn, getting all-out for 181 in 40.5 overs.
Reflecting on it, Dravid said, “Today, to give people chances, Rohit and Virat sat out, and we may have to take those risks because if you are looking at the big tournaments, then we need to build to some other players, we need to get some answers for specific positions, considering some of the situations we are in.”
The final ODI of the three-match series is on Tuesday at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad. The teams are also scheduled to play five T20 matches, starting Friday.