Seven New Jersey lottery players won $10,000 or more in Tuesday’s Mega Millions drawing, as the billion-dollar jackpot continues to grow.
The New Jersey Lottery announced that seven tickets, including two in Bergen County, matched four of the five white balls and the Mega Ball to win third-tier $10,000 prizes. Two of those tickets had the Megaplier, making those tickets worth $40,000.
Here is a look at where the tickets were sold:
- Wawa on Route 73 in Mount Laurel (Burlington County)
- Lang’s Liquors on Long Beach Boulevard in Ship Bottom (Ocean County)
- U & B Mini Market on Palisade Avenue in Garfield (Bergen County)
- 7-Eleven on Cedar Lane in Teaneck (Bergen County)
- QuickChek on Sparta Avenue in Sparta (Sussex County)
- TE-AMO on Paterson Plank Road in Secaucus (Hudson County)
- ShopRite on Convery Boulevard in Perth Amboy (Middlesex County)
In addition, 165 New Jerseyans matched four of the five white balls to win $500 prizes with 18 of those tickets having the Megaplier option to win $2,000.
Friday, Aug. 4 jackpot hits $1.25 billion
Meanwhile, the Mega Millions jackpot will increase to an estimated $1.25 billion for Friday night’s drawing, making it the fourth largest Mega Millions and sixth largest U.S. lottery jackpot ever (see charts below).
The jackpot was last won on April 18 when someone in East Syracuse, New York, won a $20 million jackpot and was also won on April 14 when a lottery player in Ozone Park, New York, won a $483 million jackpot.
Tuesday, Aug. 1 winning Mega Millions numbers
The winning numbers drawn on Tuesday, Aug. 1 were: 8, 24, 30, 45, and 61 with Mega Ball: 12. The Megaplier was 4.
Looking for an edge?These Mega Millions numbers are drawn the most
When is next Mega Millions drawing?
Mega Millions drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m.
How do I play Mega Millions?
The cost is $2 per ticket, but you can add the Megaplier for $1, which will increase the amount of your potential prize up to five times the original prize (except for the jackpot).
Each player selects five numbers from 1 to 70 for the white balls and one number from 1 to 25 for the Mega Ball. However, you can also have the lottery machine generate a random Quick Pick for you. You don’t need to be a U.S. citizen or a resident of a particular state where you purchase your ticket.
How many balls do I need to match for Mega Millions prize?
You can win $2 for matching just one – the Mega Ball. Short of the jackpot, you can win up to $1 million for matching all five white balls (except in California).
Where can I play Mega Millions?
You can play the game in 45 states plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The states not offering Mega Millions are: Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah.
Many grocery stores, gas stations and convenience stores sell lottery tickets. Some states allow Mega Millions tickets to be purchased online, but beware of scam websites. Check with your state lottery for more details.
NJ lottery:Where does all the ticket sales money go?
What is deadline for buying Mega Millions tickets?
The deadline for purchasing a Mega Millions ticket varies by state so don’t wait until the last minute. It can be 15 minutes to an hour or more before the actual drawing. For some third-party lottery apps, the deadline can be closer to two hours before the drawing. For example, Jackpocket in New Jersey has a deadline of 9:15 p.m. for the 11 p.m. ET drawing.
What are my odds of winning the lottery?
Playing the Mega Millions can be exciting, but just don’t go spending those millions before you win.
The odds of winning the jackpot are 302,575,350-to-1. The odds to match all five white balls are 12,607,306-to-1.
What are the Top 10 Mega Millions jackpots?
Here are the Top 10 Mega Millions jackpots ever:
- $1.537 billion, Oct. 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, Jan. 13, 2023: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion: July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.25 billion: Aug. 4, 2023:
- $1.05 billion, Jan. 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $656 million, March 30, 2012: Three winners in Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- $648 million, Dec. 17, 2013: Two winners in California, Georgia
- $543 million, July 24, 2018: Won in California
- $536 million, July 8, 20116: Won in Indiana
- $533 million: March 30, 2018: Won in New Jersey
Top 10 largest U.S. lottery jackpots ever
Here’s a look at the top jackpots won in the United States, between the Powerball and the Mega Millions lotteries:
- $2.04 billion, Powerball, Nov. 7, 2022: California
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016: Three winners in California, Florida, Tennessee
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 13, 2022: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.25 billion, Mega Millions, Aug. 4, 2023:
- $1.08 billion, Powerball, July 19, 2023: Won in California
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019: Won in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017: Won in Massachusetts